“The Year 2021”
To be perceptive. To be present. To be patient. These are the states I want to practice more of in 2021.
In 2021, I will practice…
- Walking outside every day.
- Cooking and baking more.
- Learning French.
- Following a budget.
- Finding new creative projects.
- Maintaining balance.
- Setting boundaries.
Memories of 2021.
To set a more positive and calm tone for 2021, I rang in the New Year at home with my roommate (and kitty friend) and celebrated the midnight countdown virtually with the Vodka Joyride group.
January was intense with the riots at the U.S. Capitol, the second impeachment of Trump, the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, the rollouts of the COVID-19 vaccines worldwide, and the whole weirdness of the whole GameStop versus Wall Street saga. I celebrated my first (and hopefully only) pandemic birthday with my tradition of birthday freebies. My roommates and I did a complete cleaning and redecorating of our apartment to make it fresh for this new era. I signed up for some free trials for meal delivery services and tried out a bunch of new recipes to get more into cooking and baking.
February went by in a flash, it felt! I began starting my days with a morning meditation via Headspace. What exactly happened this month? It snowed during the Lunar Near Year/Galentine’s Day/Valentine’s Day/Singles Awareness Day long weekend. Coronavirus raged on with new variants and restrictions remained in place, so I did what any hero would do in such circumstances — stayed in and binged a ton of shows and online shopped! Oh, and I finally got a haircut after five months! It’s the little things…
Quite honestly, the three months of March and April and May felt like a long-winded blur. A lot happened in the world — we reached the one year mark of the COVID-19 pandemic, and with more and more people taking the vaccine, the more hopeful we gradually started to feel about the return to somewhat-normal life. There was a reckoning of addressing racial injustices with the Stop Asian Hate and Indigenous Peoples movements. But above all, I experience a huge shift in my personal life with the death of my father. Family was my priority in the spring, as I supported my Mom through this life change in selling and saying goodbye to the family house, spending time with her during her staycation downtown, settling her into her new home, and being there for her during this new chapter in her life.
Music in 2021.
- Haley Reinhart – Heroes
- Dolly Parton – 5 to 9
- Dolly Parton & Barry Gibb – Words
- JP Saxe & Maren Morris – Line By Line
- Ryan Hurd & Maren Morris – Chasing After You
- Olivia Rodrigo – Driver’s License
- Silk City – New Love (feat. Ellie Goulding)
- Martin Garrix – Pressure (feat. Tove Lo)
- Carole King – Out In The Cold
- Leslie Odom Jr. – Speak Now
- H.E.R. – Fight For You
- Andra Day – Tigress & Tweed
- Black Pumas – Colors
- Silk Sonic – Leave The Door Open
- Megan Thee Stallion – Savage Remix (feat. Beyonce)
- Tim Halperin – Save You
- David Cook – Fire
- David Archuleta – Be That For You
- Carrie Underwood – Softly And Tenderly
- Demi Lovato – Dancing With The Devil
- Taylor Swift – Mr. Perfectly Fine
- Lil Nas X – MONTERO (Call Me By My Name)
- Janelle Arthur – Hand Me Downs (feat. Dolly Parton)
- Celeste – Strange
- Sara Bareilles – Saint Honesty (Live at the Hollywood Bowl)
- Girls5Eva – Famous 5Eva
- Chayce Beckham – 23
- Kris Allen – Don’t Stop Dancing
- Jackie Castro – Gravity
- Avalon Young – 2 Do 2 U
- Ashley Hess – Grain Of Salt
- Jessie Ware – Spotlight
- Lorde – Solar Polar
- In The Heights Cast – In The Heights
Television in 2021.
- History of Swear Words
- Hudson & Rex
- Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist
- Saturday Night Live
- Kim’s Convenience
- I May Destroy You
- The Flash
- Stanley Tucci’s Searching For Italy
- The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
- Ted Lasso
- Derry Girls
- American Idol
- The Bold Type
Films in 2021.
- Promising Young Woman
- Sylvie’s Love
- 9 to 5
- Pieces Of A Woman
- One Night in Miami
- Malcolm & Marie
- Framing Britney Spears
- To All The Boys: Always and Forever
- What’s Happening, Nina Simone?
- Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry
- Tom & Jerry
- The United States vs. Billie Holiday
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Sound of Metal
- The Father
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- In The Heights
Books in 2021.
- Angie Thomas, Concrete Rose
- Soniah Kamal, Unmarriageable
- The Many Lives of Pusheen the Cat
- Cathy Park Hong, Minor Feelings
- Tarana Burke & Brene Brown, You Are Your Best Thing