“Thirty, Flirty & Thriving”
2019 marks my 13 Going on 30 year, or more like 2019 Going on 30.
There’s something about the whimsy and wonder that the character of Jenna Rink represents that I wish to embody in my 30th year and beyond. I want to get out of my head and start leading more with my heart. I want to have confidence in the ability to feel every emotion. I want to continue to work hard towards my ambitions, but also play hard. I want to live my life in living colour, or in other words, to live with unbridled enthusiasm.
It’s fitting that 2019’s Pantone Color of the Year just so happens to be living coral. This lively shade of pinkish-orange is described as an animating and life-affirming hue with a golden undertone that energizes and enlivens with a softer edge. Coming from the offline world of under the sea, coral, a source of sustenance and shelter, provides an antidote of comfort, optimism, and joy to balance out the prevalence of the online world of digital technology and social media in our daily lives.
I’m looking forward to carrying this thirty, flirty, and thriving energy into all of my pursuits in 2019!
In 2019, I resolve to…
- Travel to NYC (yes!), Germany & Ireland
- Achieve my career goals
- Finish my reading challenge goal of 19 books in 2019
- Get back into music
- Get back into dance (Harbour Dance Centre)
- Try a new fitness activity (Yoga & Pilates #findyourzen)
- Learn a new language (Spanish?)
- Write a book
Memories of 2019.
Happy New Year! As “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo” fever swept the world, I lived out this first month of 2019 by sparking joy each day. January marked the start of my thirties, which I celebrated with freebies and food on the day of my birthday and a triple birthday party with my birthday buds on that birthday weekend. The Baes celebrated the upcoming birth of a new bae-bae girl with a baby shower. I began street dancing again at Harbour Dance Centre. TV season started up with You, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Broad City, and Victoria. I saw some great movies, including 13 Going On 30, A Dog’s Way Home, If Beale Street Could Talk, On The Basis Of Sex, Roma, The Lego Movie 2, and Miss Bala. New music releases from Tyler Hilton, Billie Eilish, Lana Del Rey, Dua Lipa, Florence + The Machine, Tori Kelly, Jenny Lewis, Maren Morris, Sam Smith & Normani were added to my playlists. Awards season began with the Golden Globes, hosted by Sandra Oh and Andy Samberg, in which Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book won big. I tuned into Rent Live as I booked my trip to NYC in March. All in all, January was FYRE.
February kicked off with the most boring Super Bowl in Super Bowl history, but who really cares when you have the Puppy Bowl, the Kitten Bowl, and Adam Levine wearing your godmother’s curtains? In contrast, the Grammy Awards were the best yet. Hosted by Alicia Keys, the show was alive with big female energy from the likes of Kacey Musgraves, Janelle Monae, Dua Lipa, Dolly Parton, Diana RossH.E.R, Cardi B, Lady Gaga, Chloe x Halle, and the one and only Michelle Obama. I listened to new music from Adam Lambert, Haley Reinhart, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jepsen, Ellie Goulding, Solange, Maddie Poppe, John Legend, Bruno Mars & Cardi B, Sara Bareilles, John Mayer, Kree Harrison, and Zealyn. I watched Pretty Woman (I know, finally!), Josh Groban Live at MSG on the Bridges Tour (in theatres), How to Train Your Dragon 3, and Isn’t It Romantic. I read books by Cleo Wade, Amanda Lovelace, and Marianne Power. I worked at working out to keep up with Fitness February. I celebrated Galentines with the girls and Valentines with the dogs. I met Angie Thomas on her On The Come Up book tour. I laughed out loud to a couple comedy shows as part of Just for Laughs Fest. I saw Brasstracks at the Imperial. Oh, and it snowed. A lot.
For the first two weeks of March, I returned back to the city where I left my heart – NYC! I hardly got a wink of slumber in the city that never sleeps due to the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple. During my New York minute in the city that never sleeps, I took in as much of the sights, parks, photo ops, art, culture, shops, food, Broadway shows (Hamilton, Harry Potter & The Cursed Child, Waitress, and Pretty Woman), live music experiences (Elton John and Jeremy Jordan), and live television experiences as I could. It’s safe to say that I’ll continue to be in a New York state of mind for quite some time. Back in Vancouver, I saw Tori Kelly for her acoustic show at Queen Elizabeth Theatre, and saw Michelle Obama for her Becoming book tour at Rogers Arena. I watched a number of films, including Isn’t It Romantic, Vox Lux, Beyond the Lights, Captain Marvel, Five Feet Apart, Us, and Dumbo. I listened to new music albums from Maren Morris, Jenny Lewis, Haley Reinhart, Ben Platt, and Billie Eilish. I read Daisy Jones & The Six, Shadow Me, Defy Me, On The Come Up, and The Hating Game. I saw the series finales of Broad City and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and began the final season of Jane the Virgin. In order to keep up with the fit-ness I gained from walking the endless streets of New York, I tried a handful of new fitness activities, including cycling, heels dancing, yoga, and pilates.
In April, I celebrated my good friend Sam at her bachelorette party. I saw Michael Buble’s homecoming show in Vancouver and Haley Reinhart in Seattle during the Easter long weekend. I watched Shazam, Missing Link, Unicorn Store, Kong: Skull Island, Guava Island, Penguins, Someone Great, Ibiza, Rough Night, and Avengers: Endgame. I listened to new music albums from Sara Bareilles, Khalid, Lizzo, and Beyonce, and new songs from Ellie Goulding, Maren Morris, Florence + The Machine, Avalon Young, Kelly Clarkson, and Janelle Monae. I read Girl Stop Apologizing and Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis, Amber Tamblyn’s Era of Ignition, and The Huntress. I started watching the new season of The Bold Type, the second season of the revamped American Idol, and the final season of Game of Thrones (despite never having watched the show before – gotta keep up with the water cooler talk!). Between the hyped up Avengers: Endgame finale and the final battle on Game of Thrones, the end of April was action-packed!
Live Shows in 2019.
- Brasstracks at The Imperial in Vancouver on February 27th.
- Elton John at Madison Square Garden in New York City on March 5th.
- Hamilton at Richard Rodgers Theatre in New York City on March 6th.
- Waitress at Brooks Atkinson Theater in New York City on March 7th.
- Harry Potter & The Cursed Child at Lyric Theatre in New York City on March 10th.
- Jeremy Jordan at The Town Hall in New York City on March 11th.
- Pretty Woman at Nederlander Theatre in New York City on March 12th.
- Tori Kelly at Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver on March 16th.
- Michelle Obama at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on March 21st.
- Michael Buble at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on April 12th.
- Haley Reinhart at The Crocodile in Seattle on April 22nd.
- Terry Fator at Hard Rock Casino in Coquitlam on May 4th.
- Carrie Underwood at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on May 25th.
- Tyler Hilton at the Biltmore Cabaret in Vancouver on June 19th.
- Paul McCartney at BC Place in Vancouver on July 6th.
- Queen + Adam Lambert at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on July 10th.
- Alison Sudol at Fox Cabaret in Vancouver on August 6th.
Music in 2019.
- Tyler Hilton – City On Fire
- Janelle Arthur – Runnin’ From My Roots
- Sam Smith & Normani – Dancing With A Stranger
- Lana Del Rey – hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have – but i have it
- Billie Eilish – When I Was Older
- Tori Kelly – Change Your Mind
- Dua Lipa – Swan Song
- Florence + The Machine – Moderation
- Ariana Grande – thank u next
- Ariana Grande – break up with your boyfriend, i’m bored
- Chloe x Halle – Down
- H.E.R – Hard Place
- Brandi Carlile – The Joke
- Cardi B & Bruno Mars – Please Me
- John Legend – Preach
- Alicia Keys – Raise A Man
- Adam Lambert – Feel Something
- John Mayer – I Guess I Just Feel Like
- Kree Harrison – I Love The Lie
- Ellie Goulding – Flux
- Maren Morris – GIRL
- Jenny Lewis – On The Line
- Jenny Lewis – Red Bull & Hennessy
- Haley Reinhart – Lo-Fi Soul
- Haley Reinhart – Honey, There’s The Door
- Brooke White – Livin’ On A Prayer
- Bryan Greenberg – Troubled Mind
- Ben Platt – Sing To Me Instead
- Ben Platt – Ease My Mind
- Billie Eilish – when we all fall asleep, where do we go?
- Billie Eilish – bury a friend
- Kevin McHale – Help Me Now
- Sara Bareilles – Amidst the Chaos
- Sara Bareilles – Armor
- Khalid – Free Spirit
- Khalid – Talk
- Elise Testone – This Is Love
- Elise Testone – Flying High
- Lizzo – Cuz I Love You
- Lizzo – Juice
- Lizzo – Truth Hurts
- Ellie Goulding – Sixteen
- Ellie Goulding – Hollow Crown
- Maren Morris – Kingdom of One
- Florence + The Machine – Jenny of Oldstone
- Lauren Alaina – Breathe Again
- Avalon Young – Big Mood
- Beyonce – Before I Let Go
- Kelly Clarkson – Broken & Beautiful
- Janelle Monae & Kelly Clarkson – Unbreakable
- Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus – Old Town Road
- Maddie Poppe – Whirlwind
- Maddie Poppe – Made You Miss
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Dedicated
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Now That I Found You
- Carly Rae Jepsen – No Drug Like Me
- Zealyn – A Weekend in Maine
- Zealyn – Faster Now
- Rocketman Soundtrack
- Taron Egerton – Rocket Man
- Jes – Love You
- Ingrid Michaelson – Missing You
- Christina Perri – Tiny Victories
- Shawn Mendes – If I Can’t Have You
- Nick Fradiani – Empire
- Diplo – Win Win (feat. Tove Lo)
- Aazar – Diva (feat. Swae Lee & Tove Lo)
- Ingrid Michaelson – Missing You
- Alison Sudol – The Runner
- Sara Bareilles – Shiny
- Haley Reinhart – Dreams
- Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber – I Don’t Care
- Scarypoolparty – Out Loud
- Laine Hardy – Flame
Television in 2019.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Broad City
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Arrested Development
- The Good Place
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- The Flash
- Saturday Night Live
- Game of Thrones
- American Idol
- The Bold Type
- Jane the Virgin
Films in 2019.
- Runnin’ From My Roots (2018)
- If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)
- Bird Box (2018)
- A Quiet Place (2018)
- Vice (2018)
- 13 Going On 30 (2004)
- A Dog’s Way Home (2019)
- Fyre Fraud (2019)
- Fyre (2019)
- On The Basis of Sex (2018)
- Roma (2018)
- The Lego Movie: The Second Part (2019)
- Miss Bala (2019)
- Pretty Woman (1990)
- How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)
- Isn’t It Romantic (2019)
- Vox Lux (2018)
- Captain Marvel (2019)
- Beyond the Lights (2014)
- Five Feet Apart (2019)
- Us (2019)
- Dumbo (2019)
- Shazam! (2019)
- Missing Link (2019)
- Unicorn Store (2019)
- Kong: Skull Island (2017)
- Guava Island (2019)
- Penguins (2019)
- Someone Great (2019)
- Ibiza (2018)
- Rough Night (2017)
- Avengers: Endgame (2019)
- Little Woods (2019)
- Uglydolls (2019)
- Wine Country (2019)
- Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (2019)
- The Sun is Also a Star (2019)
- A Dog’s Journey (2019)
- Rocketman (2019)
Books in 2019.
- Marie Kondo, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
- Cleo Wade, Heart Talk
- Amanda Lovelace, The Mermaid’s Voice Returns In This One
- Marianne Power, Help Me
- Taylor Jenkins Reid, Daisy Jones & The Six
- Tahereh Mafi, Shadow Me
- Tahereh Mafi, Defy Me
- Angie Thomas, On The Come Up
- Blythe Roberson, How to Date Men When You Hate Men
- Rachel Hollis, Girl, Wash Your Face
- Rachel Hollis, Girl, Stop Apologizing
- Amber Tamblyn, Era of Ignition
- Sally Thorne, The Hating Game
- Kate Quinn, The Huntress
- Sally Rooney, Conversations With Friends
- Sally Rooney, Normal People
- Robert Matzen, Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn & World War II
- Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
2019: The Year of Living with Unbridled Enthusiasm