Congratulations to Candice Glover, the winner of American Idol Season 12!
On May 16th, Idol fans witnessed the coronation of Candice Glover, who now joins the ranks of Idol Queens Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Fantasia Barrino, and Jordin Sparks. As part of her crowning, the well-deserving champion got the sparks show, the confetti shower, and the whole she-bang, including a recording deal with Interscope! The dynamic R&B/Soul/Jazz singer proved herself to be the best overall vocalist and performer, delivering sublime standout moments (notably I (Who Have Nothing) and Lovesong) week after week. However, it was Candice’s creative and versatile musicality that made her more than just a great singer – she showed that she’s an original artist as well! She offered something different and unique to this season, and it has been a wonder to watch Candice grow more and more confidence and discover herself as a musician. Candice’s story is one of determination, perseverance, belief, and passion. After being rejected twice before coming back again and winning it all this year, this Girl on Fire re-defines the term ‘third time’s a charm’! Candice is an inspiring and beautiful young woman, and a true Idol indeed!
Kudos as well to Actual Angel Kree Harrison, the radiant and remarkable runner-up! All season long, she amazed the audience every week with stunning and emotional performances that spotlighted her stirringly soulful voice. This country sweetheart has a heart of gold and a kind spirit, and her story of overcoming tragedy with strength and optimism is one that touched many people. It’s just the beginning for Kree, who will be making her Grand Ole Opry debut this June. Let Kreedom Ring!
The Idol Finale was a night of celebration in tribute to Season 12. Among the highlights of the evening were…
- The tribute to Randy Jackson, the Idol veteran who will be leaving the judging panel after twelve solid years. Although I had my issues with Randy as a judge over the year, I have to admit, I will miss his dawg-isms and ‘in it to win its’.
- The Idol Sabotage skit, which pointed fun at the controversial subsequent eliminations of all of the male contestants in the first half of the season. As it turned out, the Top 5 guys were sabotaged by the Top 5 girls, who conspired with the mastermind of the plot (none other than the last female winner, Jordin Sparks!) to knock them off one by one! The shade thrown at the five year domination of male winners was a strike for Team Girl Power.
- Janelle Arthur joining The Band Perry on a country-rockin’ performance of “Done“. It was so fierce with hairography, jumps, and tons of headbanging energy! Janelle’s fiery showwomanship was on full display – I think she has a future in a female-fronted country band!
- Amber Holcomb and Emeli Sande singing “Next To Me” was an awesome collaboration, and once again demonstrated Amber’s potential to fit into the current pop music scene!
- Angie Miller was up high on cloud nine – singing a haunting duet of “Titanium” with Idol’s very own Adam Lambert, and performing “Domino” with her own idol, Jessie J, AND to top it all off, getting a personal invitation to perform her original song “You Set Me Free”, in concert with Jessie in the UK this year! Lucky girl!
- Kree Harrison jamming out with Keith Urban, Randy Jackson, and Travis Barker on “Where The Blacktop Ends” was a really cool moment to witness!
- What happens when you bring Candice Glover and Jennifer Hudson together for a duet of “Inseparable“? An incredible diva-off, that’s what! Candice really held her own with the incredible powerhouse!
- Queen Diva Aretha Franklin performing a medley of her greatest hits, via satellite. The Top 5 Girls served as back-up singers, but it must have been an honour to be her virtual presence!
- Candice and Kree’s duet to “One Less Bell To Answer / A House Is Not A Home” was a sheer delight – it was nice to finally see the soul sisters come together in song.
- Sure, Season 12 was messy at times, but since they gave me my Top 5 Girls and ultimate Kree/Candice finale, I’d say it was worth it all. Thank you, American Idol!
Interscope is hitting the ground running by releasing Candice Glover’s debut album, Music Speaks on July 16th. It is now available for pre-order on iTunes and on her official website. Candice’s coronation single, “I Am Beautiful” is offered for instant download.